The Rev. Derrick Weston and Dr. Catherine Roma met in the summer of 2012. They were encouraged to meet one another because people felt they had the same focus about creating a peace and justice choir. Rev. Weston was Director of the Coretta Scott King Center and minister of the Presbyterian church in Yellow Springs, Ohio. In September 2012, they worked together to form an embryonic choir that sang for world peace day celebration at the Presbyterian Church.
After that successful effort, a mission statement was created: “To perform music that motivates and inspires our communities toward justice, diversity and equality as we strive for peace and to create our web of mutuality.” Rev. Weston and Dr. Roma wanted the choir to be associated with the Coretta Scott King Center at Antioch College and embarked on a collaboration.
The choir grew throughout 2013. The first major collaboration was for the CSK birthday celebration at the CSK Center at Antioch College in April 2013. This was considered the “official” launch of the choir and the beginning of the public phase of our collaboration. Prior to the WHC’s creation there were occasional celebrations of Ms. King’s life at the CSK center.
From the beginning, Antioch College has graciously provided practice space in the CSK Center or elsewhere on campus and child care has been provided by Antioch College students. Louise Smith (Dean of Community Life) and Jennifer Berman (Community Life Liason) have been very supportive and have helped the collaboration to grow.
In 2013, Rev. Weston announced that he was leaving the CSK Center and Myla Cooper was hired as the new director. We collaborate with her on the annual Coretta Scott King Birthday celebrations at Antioch College and we are also honored to perform at the Antioch College graduation ceremony each June.
The Choir is associated with “Arts for Peace and Justice,” a non-profit association in Yellow Springs, Ohio created to promote and unite progressive arts movements for peace justice and social change with an emphasis on the choral arts and people’s music.
The name “World House Choir” is rooted in Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s metaphor that we must create a “world house” in which we all live together in peace and justice. The name refers to the choice each person must make – to live in community or chaos, particularly in a nation where racial stereotypes remain strong and multiculturalism a work-in-progress.
- UN International Day of Peace – First Presbyterian Church, Yellow Springs
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Celebration – AME Central Chapel, Yellow Springs
- Coretta Scott King Birthday Celebration – Coretta Scott King Center, Antioch College, Yellow Springs, OH
- Welcoming Dinner – Antioch College Campus – Impromptu performance for Board, Alumni, Students and Friends celebrating the new year.
- TEDx Dayton, Victoria Theatre, Dayton, Ohio
- Love Makes a Family – A Celebration in Support of Marriage Equality, Antioch College Foundry Theater, Yellow Springs, OH
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Celebration – His Light Still Shines – AME Church, Yellow Springs, Ohio
- Coretta Scott King Birthday Celebration – Antioch College
- Antioch College Graduation, Yellow Springs, OH
- Peace Day – Grace Methodist Church, Dayton, Ohio. *
- Missa Gaia (A Mass in Celebration of Mother Earth) A call to action for climate change/climate justice, three performances, two at Antioch College Foundry Theater in Yellow Spring and one at Grace Methodist Church in Dayton
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Celebration, AME Central Chapel, Yellow Springs, OH
- Coretta Scott King Birthday Celebration, Antioch College Foundry Theatre, Yellow Springs, OH
- Antioch College Graduation, Yellow Springs, OH
- Come Sit at the Welcome Table – Concerts in celebration of the UN International Day of Peace – Grace United Methodist Church, Dayton, OH, Antioch College Foundry Theater, Yellow Springs, OH and Urbana University, Urbana, OH.
- Concert to End Gun Violence – Wilmington College Westheimer Peace Symposium, Wilmington, OH
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Program at Marion Correctional Institution, Marion, OH
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Program at Antioch College Foundry Theater, Yellow Springs, OH
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Program at London Correctional Institution, London, OH
- Celebration of Life for Ron Seimer, Yellow Springs, OH
- Langston Hughes Program at the Paul Robeson Performing Arts Center, Central State University, Wilberforce, OH and Antioch College Foundry Theater, Yellow Springs, OH
- Coretta Scott King Birthday Celebration, Antioch College, Yellow Springs, OH
- Concert to benefit Standing Rock, Grace United Methodist, Dayton, OH
- Concert for United Nations International Refugee Day, Dayton, OH
- Antioch Graduation, Antioch College, Yellow Springs, OH
- Together We Bring on the Light, with guest artist Melanie DeMore, Foundry Theater Yellow Springs, OH and Wayman Chapel AME Church, Dayton OH
- Westheimer Peace Symposium at Wilmington College, Wilmington, OH
- Repeat of Langston Hughes Program, Central State University, Wilberforce, OH and Chapel at the VA, Dayton, OH
- Community Solutions Conference, Yellow Springs, OH